Friday, November 11, 2016

How I fell in love with Armenia?

How I fell in love with Armenia?  How will I not?  I fell in love with this beautiful Caucasian country the moment I laid my eyes on the snow-capped mountains while up on the plane before we descended to Zvarnots Airport.  So, how did I fall in love with Armenia?



1.  The people.  Oh how I love the Armenians.  From the taxi driver who fetched us from the airport, to the homestay family we so love and the random Armenians we met along the way.  There is something about the Armenians that you get to easily love them - warm welcome and hospitality.

2.  The food.  We ate only fresh and homemade/handmade by Mama Nvard from Homestay Yerevan.  This is my vacation that I did not eat processed food but did enjoy one "junk" food - the Lay's Bacon and BBQ pork flavor, oh sooo heavenly.  We had the chance to taste also beer, wine, apricot fizzy drinks, taragon juice and the Armenian tea and coffee.  I love the gata and lavash.




3.  Historic sites.   Armenia is rich in history and culture.  From pagan temples, to monastery and of course museums.  Seeing these structures and knowing their history really make me fall in love with Armenia.





4. Love of the cross and Jesus Christ.  Armenians used to be  pagans but in year 301, Armenia was the first country to become  Christians.  Their  love and passion for the cross is evidenced by the khachkar, the Armenian cross that can be found everywhere in Armenia.  When I came to Armenia, I was undergoing spiritual dryness but the moment I saw the shepherd in one of our trips up the mountains, I felt God telling me, it's all about Jesus, the shepherd.  Rest from all your burdens and negativities and rest on Jesus' love.  The Armenian's passion for the cross inspired me to better love the Lord despite of all the negativities around me.






5. Contentment.  The once Soviet ruled Armenia seems to have moved on slowly to the recent times.  If asked was life better during the Soviet rule, answer would vary depending on the age group.  The oldies would prefer being under the Soviet Union but the young and new generations would prefer to be independent Armenia.  What's important is they are content with what they have at present.


Armenia is LOVE!




No comments:

Post a Comment